Dear Pancreas:

Contrary to popular belief, I have not been destroyed by your minions. This battle isn't over yet.

~B.C.B.

Monday, May 16, 2011

May I Have Your Attention Please?

Dear Nursing School (starting again in Fall):

I have gone the last 2-3 semesters not using rights entitled to me under the disabilities act.  This was STUPID.  These rights were entitled to me for a reason-- so I could succeed just like any other person with reasonable accommodations.  

In my last semester of nursing school, I'm no longer going to wave these rights.  I met with the Disability Services of my school.  And I'm pulling out "My Rights" card: 

  • I have the RIGHT to keep my blood test meter and snack food during examinations.  
  • I have the RIGHT to leave to use the rest room during a test if I have high blood sugar.
  • I have the RIGHT to take a 10 minute break every 2.5 hours during clinical rotations, so that I can monitor my blood sugar, treat my blood sugar either snack or insulin. 
  • I have the RIGHT to take more than one 10 minute break during a 4 hour nursing lab experience.
What spurred me to get these rights?  Because I am sick and tired of having blood sugars in the 230-300's while in nursing school.  My last rotation I was in was Pediatrics.  My blood sugars were almost always in this range due to stress, and not being able to monitor more closely.  

No more.  I'm exercising my right to manage my diabetes so I feel the best in school and clinical rotations. 

Know your rights... because nobody is going to tell you about them. 




~Fed Up Beta Bandit 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I went to nursing school (I don't have "D"..my son Joe does)...I cannot imagine the balancing act. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as you probably know, nursing schools aren't exactly flexible in general... at least where I am.

    ReplyDelete